Friday, April 25, 2008

A memorable airplane trip

Excerpts from Letter from Norma to Loyd (St. Anthony to Salt Lake)
October 1958
. . .The plane trip was great though the first five minutes I had great misgivings. Doug didn’t want his daddy to get off and showed it by weeping and wailing and the minute the motors started Carl began screaming and tugging at his seat belt. "Let me off here. Let me off here. I don’t want to go!" I had wished I was sitting by him but I put my hand out and held on to his and by the time we were up in the air a bit he had quit screaming and by the time the food had been placed on his lap he looked as if were enjoying himself. Now when I ask him who cried on the plane he says, Me did" then puts his hands on his hips and says, "Not very much. Just a little bit."
. . .Chris just acted like a real veteran flier. He was next to the window and kept watch on everything and would tell me when he saw a reservoir, river, etc. and tell me when we were landing, hit the ground, etc. He was cute. The stewardess told me she would have known he was your son if she had seen him alone without you anywhere around.

No comments: