April 1980
Big chuckle of the day!!! As we were headed for the temple this morning we were excited to see Elder Bruce R McConkie walking towards the church office building. He was immaculately dressed in a brown suit and then our eyes traveled toward his feet and he was wearing blue and yellow "tennie runners." We laughed and laughed and wished we had a camera handy to take his picture – ANYONE BUT Bruce R. McConkie.
May 1984 (Dedication of the Boise Temple)
Over the period of the six days all of the Twelve had visited along with members of the First Quorum of the Seventy. . .Some were here during only one given and some remained for several days and others maybe only a part of a day. Those who stayed for more than one were more friendly with us . . .There was only one group that were rather aloof and seemed a bit preoccupied and that was the group with Elder McConkie and Elder Monson, although, among themselves they didn’t seem to be. I overheard Elder Monson telling Elder McConkie, "I knew you would forget your white handkerchief so I brought an extra pair of white socks and you can wave one of those."
. . . One morning I got up at 5:30 and made some cinnamon pullaparts and they went over so well. I went into the lounge before they had all left and Elder Simpson (of the 1st Quorum of 70) came over to me and said, "I am your greatest fan. In fact, I am going to take another one right now) and he pulled off one and started out the door to the temple with one in his hand.
. . .Brother and Sister Packer arrived the last day but were too late for the first session. . .They were in the lounge before the other brethren arrived from the temple and I went in to them to see if they would like something before the others arrived. Brother Packer said he was ready for milk and I went to get it for them but forgot whether he had wanted 2% or whole. I took in 2% and asked if that was what he had wanted and then I told him I was so nervous because I had never served the brethren before. He laughed and said it was 2% he indeed wanted and then he looked at the huge breakfast rolls Marcia had prepared and said, "I only worry about whether or not we can handle so small a roll"!
The last evening of dedication, all the brethren were returning to Salt Lake so we prepared lunches for them . .Now that the dedication was over, they seemed a little more relaxed and they had more time to just "let down". . . .Loyd and I were in the kitchen alone and my back was turned to the door with my hands in the dish water when I heard someone behind us and I turned to see Elder Hinckley standing there with his dish and he thanked us so sweetly. It was all worth it at that moment and it didn’t matter that I was tired and that my feet hurt and that the sight of grapes and bananas was almost more than I could bear. My heart was full for such an experience as I have had.
P.S. Then there were the "Mrs. GA’s" - Sister Faust, Featherstone and Perry all wanted to have my grape juice and ginger ale recipe. I was disappointed that all I could say was, "Well, I just poured a little bit of grape juice into the pitcher and then filled it up with ginger ale. Sr. Faust came to me and asked me if "that beautiful young girl" (Katy) was my daughter that helped them that morning. She said she and Carl just seemed to go together so well and it would seem just made for each other. Sr. Oakes didn’t spend her time lounging. She brought her tennie runners with her and between sessions would put them on, go into the cultural hall and do her walking. Typical of the young people of today she wore ear plugs and listened to cassettes as she was walking.
(You are lucky I didn't post the pages and pages I wrote about the dedication experiences)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment