Sunday, April 6, 2008

A short profile on a 5 year old Carl and a thought for a Sabbath Day

January 5, 1962
Carl had a crisis hit him today – none of his friends liked him anymore because they all bossed him. Poor little fellow, his heart was broken and he just sobbed. . ."Try as hard as I could, I couldn’t convince Carl they liked him - my Carl whom everyone likes!! It pulled a bit at my heartstrings.

July 6, 1980
Not too long ago I had some thoughts on sacrifice which were more forcibly drawn to my mind this morning in a RS lesson. We speak of the sacrifice of the Savior - the atoning sacrifice, the giving of His life and it is hard for me to relate that to any sacrifice I might have to make. For instance, it is doubtful that I should ever have to give my life for the Gospel but it came to me that while that was His supreme sacrifice, he also sacrificed in his life those things which we sacrifice today – time, worldly possessions, and as Bruce R. McConkie said, "The law of sacrifice is that we are willing to sacrifice all we have for the truth’s sake – our character and reputation, our honor and applause; our good name among men; our houses, lands, and families...." Even so did the Savior sacrifice those things in His life. That to me was a bit of revelation.

No comments: